Work with Us!
Email or Mail Cover Letter and Resume to Apply:
General Purpose of Position:
The main role of the Center Educator is to be responsible for seeing that visitors have an enjoyable and educational time when visiting the Midland County Historical Society Museums, hands-on exhibits and art
galleries at the Alden B. Dow Museum of Science & Art. The Center Educator will also facilitate tours, presentations, outreach programs, camps, general events and classes relating to museums exhibitions and
provides activities in the science and art studios. Center educators will also assist in planning and organizing for the education department. Promotes the museums and supports the mission of the Center.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide an informative and enjoyable museum experience in a positive, helpful and professional
- Greet and serve all guests to the museums on a daily basis in a positive professional manner.
- Greet, in a positive manner, arriving school buses to inform students of the rules of visiting the museum.
- Learn materials and activities that will enable them to facilitate an exciting experience for all visitors.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all current exhibits or program offerings and help guests, school groups and public patrons, use the interactive exhibit areas. Provide additional resources to answer guests’ questions.
- Must be able to support learning by providing and encouraging positive guest experiences.
- Ability to adjust programs and experiences to the age level of the group.
- Relate what is being displayed or described to something within the experience of the visitor.
- Demonstrate adaptability to a highly flexible environment and schedule.
- Lead hands-on programs including scout workshops, homeschool classes, outreach programs, camps and interactive presentations.
- Lead engaging art and science, and history tours with provided script.
- Maintain control of a large number of children for the duration of the program. Work with children in non-threatening, educational and creative ways.
- Utilize a variety of communication techniques such as question and answer, use of props, and management of hands-on opportunities.
- Display professionalism and a positive attitude in all dealings with the public.
- Work as a facilitator on the floor of the museum, including evenings, weekends and special events as needed.
- Work in the Spark!Lab as a Spark!Lab facilitator when needed.
- Ensure the safety of all patrons as well as the museum exhibits and facility. Report any issues to Director of Education and Facilities.
- Upholds Center mission by engaging visitors in educational activities through science and art.
- Required attendance at meetings and trainings.
- Assist School and Public Program Coordinator with supply inventory, organization of storage spaces, and other duties assigned.
- Candidate will have a clear vision of requirements of guest satisfaction and a vision of the educational experience; whether it be guided tours, Center programs or outreach opportunities.
- Candidates must be able to learn materials and activities that will enable them to facilitate an exciting experience for all visitors.
- Candidates shall possess excellent communication and inter-personal skills, have the ability to work in a dynamic and sometimes crowded and noisy environment - walking and standing for extended
- Teaching or interpretive experience preferred.
- Ability to present in front of large groups of people.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school Diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience with history, art and/or science
- Experience working with children preferred
Job openings are posted as they become available. Resumes and applications are accepted only when a position is posted.
Join Our Team
We are looking for a candidate that is passionate about the arts, has a professional and enthusiastic attitude, is a team player, believes quality really does matter, is creative, self-motivated, and can communicate effectively!
More to Know
Be a Part of the Center
Support important art and science activities, learn new skills and meet interesting people.
A season recap of exciting performances and exhibitions, continued growth and overall success.
Join Our Circle of Friends
Individual donors are major influencers of Midland Center for the Arts' direction with cultural entertainment and education opportunities in the Great Lakes Bay region.